Photo by John Colombo
I write dark fiction: horror, LGBTQ horror, supernatural crime, dark crime, and psychological thrillers. And technical manuals. All terribly horrifying.
Lee Allen Howard has been a technical writer in the software industry since 1985. (Why do fiction writers pretend like they don’t have day jobs? I like to eat just like everyone else!) I also edit fiction and non-fiction projects. I’ve done book layout and publishing consultancy.
A long time ago I earned a bachelor’s in English from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I also earned a master’s in Biblical Studies from CI School of Theology and a master’s in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University.
Press and Interviews
- Early poetry and short fiction were published in Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s New Growth Arts Revue.
- My first novel, When the Music Stops, was published in 2000 (now out of print).
- I’ve written and published numerous biblical teachings books; check my Lee A. Howard Amazon author page. I write ministry-related material for LGBTQ Pentecostal Christians at https://leeallenhoward.org.
- “The Summer House” appeared in Cemetery Sonata anthology.
- I wrote an article in Pittsburgh’s Out Magazine.
- I played editor-for-hire for Tom Venuto’s The Body Fat Solution and Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle.
- I contributed “Savoir-Faire,” edited, and published the Thou Shalt Not… anthology (Dark Cloud Press).
- “Your Very First Editor,” a non-fiction piece on self-editing, appeared in Many Genres, One Craft.
- The Sixth Seed is available in a variety of formats.
- Severed Relations, a duo of pulp horror shorts, is available for Kindle.
- “Mama Said” is published for Kindle.
- “Stray” is published for Kindle.
- “Poor Old Soul” appeared in the anthology Mirages: Tales from Authors of the Macabre, edited by Trent Zelazny.
- Desperate Spirits, two supernatural crime shorts, is published for Kindle.
- Night Monsters, four short stories, is published for Kindle and Nook.
- Death Perception is available in a variety of formats.
- Perpetual Nightmares, my collected short fiction as of 2016, is available in a variety of formats.
- The Adamson Family, a YA gothic, is available in a variety of formats.
- Tales of Blood and Squalor (Dark Cloud Press) is available in a variety of formats.
- The Bedwetter: Journal of a Budding Psychopath is available in a variety of formats from many sites.
- “The Elixir” is available on Amazon.
- “The Night Creatures” is available on Amazon.
I’m also the founder, editor, and publisher at Dark Cloud Press (http://www.darkcloudpress.com), publisher of horror, dark crime, and psychological thrillers. (Closed to submissions.)
After completing my Master of Arts in Writing Popular Fiction in June 2006, coupled with starting a new job, undergoing some significant life changes (getting divorced, coming out), selling a house, and relocating—whew!—I was a bit shell-shocked and laid off writing for a while.
In January 2008 I attended Borderlands Writers Boot Camp in Baltimore, and it really jump-started my writing. I highly recommend it.
In June 2011 I spoke at Seton Hill University’s Writing Popular Fiction In Your Write Mind alumni retreat on the topic, “Alternative Methods of Idea and Story Generation.” I presented “Psychic Development for Writers” at the 2012 retreat and “Self-editing for Publication” in June 2013. I spoke at the 2019 retreat on “Mastering Narrative Modes.”
I live in western New York state. I’m available to edit dark fiction.